Last blog, hoorah, I mean awh man.
If you though last weeks blog was fun, wait till you see this one : http://cuteoverload.com/
I know you all just want to look through it for hours now.
Alright you all know the deal, check it out, let me know what you think, compare it to last weeks, they're similar in set up. Check out that assignment sheet, and try to answer one of the ones you haven't done and get yourself that A!
Have a great week everyone! Go Buckeyes, beat the Hawkeyes.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHaha, this blog site is ridiculous. The pink and yellow fluffy background fits perfectly with the cuteness theme of the blog, but it is still ridiculous. The site is similar in layout to the Fail Blog site in that there is almost a list videos and posts, coupled with other social media buttons (facebook, Twitter etc). There doesn't seem to be as many ads, but the site does seem to get a lot of hits. It gets a ton of comments. I don't think this site would appeal to just anyone looking for online humor, but it would definitely appeal to animal lovers, and most likely people who also like sites such as LOLCATS. However, because the site is called Cute Overload, it may be going more for the "awww" reaction instead of a good laugh.
ReplyDeleteThe blogs are getting harder and harder to analyze...
ReplyDeleteThis blog is about cute animals, of course. But when you think of why people post cute pictures of puppies and kittens, one can guess that cute things make us happy, period. The world is filled with depressing news, and political blogs are always trash talking other side of the spectrum. It is easy for people to get tired of them. Not too many people want to keep listening to arguments and accusations in their free time; instead, they turn to harmless little things that warm our hearts, such as this blog, the Cute Overload. On the surface, this blog seems pointless with no contents, but actually, they serve as people's stress relief as they turn on their computer, providing them with pictures that make them happy.
I have heard rumors of this "Cute Overload" blog and have yet to check it out until now. I must say, there are quite a bit of cute posts going on in that blog. For starters the first thing I think of is how it essentially revolves around animals. Personally I think kids can be super cute however this blog has a pretty clear audience of animal lovers. Organizationally I really like that to the side there are plenty of links to click on to take the reader to specific "categories of cuteness". Also, I find it really interesting how the larger links signify that more people are interested in them. For example the "kittens", "pups", and "unusual animals" are the larger links that I see in comparison to "violence", "danger", and "crawlies"...interesting connection between how they seem to be opposites and are getting opposite reviews! Thanks for finally getting me to check out "Cute Overload" :) A question for the class, what target audience age-wise do you think this blog is aiming for? Do you think that age is even a factor or it is more important to have the audience be "animal lovers".. just wondering!
ReplyDeleteAs I first opened the Cute Overload homepage I saw a cute puppy, some flowers, pastel color scheme, and a flying hamster off to the left border (AKA all the things that are the empitome of cute). THEN I scroll down and...BAM there's a picture of a women's chest with a kitten chillin on both sides. This was not something I expected on the cute blog! As I viewed the rest of the blog it seemed like everything fell under the category of the cute that I had first assumed I would be seeing after I first opened the page. In my opinion, the kitten bra photo was definitely an anomally from the scope of images and digital media on the first 6 pages I viewed because of its risky nature. Although, I wouldn't say the kitty bra is cute the majority of comments seemed to agree that is was. Not only that but this photo had around 200 comments when most of the others didn't even have 100. This makes me think that although the blog looks like its for young children its definitely got an older audience which is most likely comprised of animal lovers! Overall, I found this blog very entertaining I actually laughed at a lot of the video clips maybe more so than Fail blog. Interesting pick!
ReplyDeleteok, so seeing that I am the first male to comment on this blog, not that there is anything wrong with cats and dog, but my opinion is slightly different than those who posted above me so far. Due to the blog's pink and yellow background and only topics of discussion being about small and cute animals, i found it not very appealing to men. I feel like this blog has a very specific targeted audience which is females animal lovers. Its not very masculine, i mean, at least get a pitbull or a rot wieler up there.
ReplyDeleteI am clearly not this blog's target demographic. I think the blog is well-structured and maintained, as well as having clever writing and eye catching titles and pictures, but I'm not a fan of this blog. Judging it objectively is rather difficult, just because I'm sure I don't share the same frame of mind as the author(s) of this blog, so I'm really not sure what point they're trying to get across. It's good as a distraction, but I'm sure even the audience this blog is intended for doesn't expect any huge, life-changing posts on this website.
ReplyDeleteThis blog's target audience is probably teenage girls judging by the name and the flowery aesthetics of the page. It's content is simply a series of pictures of cute animals. The content is easily accessible and all a visitor needs to do to get their fix of cute animal pictures is scroll down. Often the pictures are accompanied by a subtitle that comments on the picture. Many are attempts at comedy. This site is probably designed for quick visits to provide a little entertainment on a study break or on lunch break.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all; WOWWWWWWWW...This blog clearly relies on an emotional response from it's viewers. The visuals are oozing with what seem as a rather feministic definition of "cute overload." It is highly without much doubt that the targeted demographic would be females ( of all ages)...not to say there are no guys out there that would not find this blog appealing. I, however, must applaud this blog's simplicity. Its primary attention grabbing element is without a doubt, the cute pictures and in a way, all other things on this blog seem to converge around said images. Even it's advertisements are related to animals and they're cuteness (Cushizilla.com? wtf?). The use of colorful and bright text also infuses an cheery mood to the pictures. In conclusion, I do believe this blog has been effective in invoking emotion and drawing in the bystander(in this case a guy surfing the internet). Fans of the "cuteness" are sure to return to this blog as it's pictures of furry animals in unnatural positions seem closer to infinity.
ReplyDeletePs. I totally was not expecting the kittens all up in that lady's chest...cute. lol
I have to agree with the guys that this blog is more targeted to girls who love animals. I do love this blog and I think it is adorable. I think that the goal the bloggers are trying to achieve is happy thoughts from their audience. It is clear that they want people to be happy with the light pink and yellow background and the pictures of fluffy, cute baby animals. Not only do the pictures of the cute animals make people happy, but the posts that they right are comical. They attempt to make everything cheerful and happy throughout the whole blog. They also do not overload the site with a lot of advertisements, but when I looked at the advertisements it was clear that the audience was women. The majority of the advertisements were for clothers, jewelry, and shopping. Overall, the blog layout is vary relaxing and easy to follow.
ReplyDeleteOh I'm feeling the cute overload..and I can only handle so much estrogen in one day! (though no offense to you girls). This is for specifically cute animal-seeking lovers. I normally wouldn't say bears were cute, but there mostly only are shots of cub bears when I look them up. I feel that Cute Overload is not targeting a certain age group but instead it can attract people who DON'T act their age. The language use in the texts say "Sub Mee Shons" instead of submissions, "twitoi" instead of twitter, and others like "the facebooks (plural..?)", "more more more!", and "gee-ross!". Imagine saying these words, with this tone and certain use of emphasis, it'd sound close to somebody who's older but pretending to be five. I agree, definitely emotionally charged and coming off as "cute". Also one of the tags is "Sad?" question mark. definitely, like others have mentioned, trying to egg someone on to be happy.
ReplyDeleteI think this blog reinforces gender roles. The name "cute overload" grabs attention and the first thing seen on the site are pastel colors, it looks like Easter. This is clearly targeted towards females, along with the abbreviated words and as Christopher pointed out the use of "baby talk". I found it interesting that facebook and twitter tabs are available for public sharing but also that is was so blatant in trying to get people on a bandwagon. An advertisement on the side says "TWITTO, YOU WILL JOIN THE TWITTER BANDWAGON. FOLLOW US! you have nothing to lose and EVERYTHING TO GAIN". I think thats quite a bold assertion and directly in contrast to another ad that advertises "Shop Indie", which is not as mainstream.
ReplyDeleteSo it tries to appeal to many people in its ads, even if they contradict eachother, but assumes everyone can come together on a common like of cute fluffy baby animals.
My first overall impression from this blog is how disalarming the color scheme is when you first arrive at the site. The soft and neutral colors really put the viewer at ease and make the viewer feel warm and peaceful just as it is probably intended to do. The little flying animal is also meant to evoke a certain emotional response and make the individual blog browser share in the cute/cuddliness of the animals. One common denominator throughout the blog is the way the dogs and cats are shot by their owners. The manner in which they are shot is having the pets photographed in venerable positions and it is in this way that people will feel sorry for the animals as well. Also, the owners will sometimes hold their pets in the tight closeup to really show the heart and soul of the animals because that is where movies and pictures live and breathe: in the tight closeup.
ReplyDeleteMy first reaction to this blog is who? Who would spend their precious time looking at all these pictures and videos?
ReplyDeleteThe blog format is simple with a colored background which fades from purple to orange from top to bottom respectively. On the left are menus to navigate the website which include "Top Posts" and "Tags", popular keywords included in picture/video descriptions.
This is a good blog to view during times of stress and hardship. After losing money on the Mississippi St. and Arkansas game, I hopped on my computer and took a look around the site. I have to admit, it did calm me down slightly. One thing I would change about this website is to ban cat posts, and only allow pictures/videos of dogs and other animals. Mainly dogs.
My favorite picture is the one of the dog passed out holding a Budweiser can posted on November 3rd. It reminds me of my uncle, who is a huge Mets not Giants fan, at the end of our annual family reunion every summer.
Well I would definitely have to agree with Jordan on thins blog. It definitely has a target audience of animal lovers and a feminine effect on it. This could be expressed through the title of the blog, the colors, and the small animals. It also has emotional responses to it, trying to pull you into the blog and show how innocent the animals look. It is not surprising, just like any other blog trying to promote itself, that facebook and twiter links are on it. However, i find it hard, just as scott said, what is the true point of this blog? Is it just to have pictures of animals and sharing them with the wold? Just for entertainment? But I must say it does make me want to get a dog!
ReplyDeleteNot only does this blogs attention focus primarily on that of a younger aged female but it also correspondingly relates to the animal lovers. In general a guy is not going to be immediately attracted to this blog with the light pastel color scheme and the occasionally flower in the corner of the page. The pictures establish a theme of not only animals but adorable animals. It's unlikely that you'll see a wide variety of necessarily endangered animals but perhaps more common ones engaging in familiar human activities such as the bird pouring creamer into the coffee. For a primary example of how the blog relates to people I will use myself as I was not entirely motivated to look too far into this blog. The look and the idea of the blog is not what I'm about exactly. I wouldn't say that I despise cute animals but it's not a particular obsession of mine. The people intrigued by this blog are going have perhaps a pet or desire to have one someday as a first on their list of priorities wheres for me its probably...well not first.
ReplyDeleteThis blog is so cute! I like animals and all the cute things, so I find this blog very interesting. The background color is bright and pictures are so attracting but the description of each pictures/videos can develop further. If I were the editor I would like to build stories for those pictures to make them for interesting. Like the rat in the shoe picture I may add some thought of the rat to make the picture more vivid. I would also recommend the editor to build a better catalog so that readers can find what they want easier.
ReplyDeleteThank you Aaron, and i find it really interesting that you mention how the blog evokes emotion, considering that that was practically my topic on my ARP (how photos evoke emotions). And i find it to be an even bigger coincidence that you bring up Facebook later in your blog-analysis, as that relates to my Commonplace essay.
ReplyDelete