Class blog for English 110.01

Class blog for English 110.01

Monday, November 1, 2010

We Cool like That

Hey class! This week's blog is found at www.thecoolhunter.net

The blog is about captivating and breathtakingly innovative designs throughout global culture. It incorporates a substantial amount of fashion, food, music, art and various other categories; with a heavy emphasis on photography that streams an artistic light upon the blog as a whole. On thecoolhunter.net, one may find a plethora of potential vacationing spots, such as a New York coffee shop composed primarily of book cases.
Our group enjoyed the website's goal of publishing items that push the envelope in terms of making the seemingly impossible, possible. We hope you enjoy, and of course generate some compelling analysis, but if not at least look at the pictures they are SA-WEET.

18 comments:

  1. This site is really cool. The layout is great; it has an awesome color and font scheme. It also has so many interesting categories that all come with really unique and well-taken pictures. I particularly enjoyed the travel and fashion section. I would describe this site as being the trendier version of Bing. Good find! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its interesting you describe this blog as "trendier"
    This website had stated to their readers: "Don't follow trends"
    I guess this means society has different interpretations of what is trendy. E.g. Originality begins trends thus trendy could mean anything cool and original vs. trends are only what many people already follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely think this blog does an effective method of displaying "cool" things. It is organized very neatly with visuals that can help easily lead you to what you might be interested in. I clicked on a box that led me to a video with free style bmx tricks- it was so great, I was quite entertained (http://vimeo.com/15842862). Chris I think your comment on the irony with the blog being called trendy is very thought provoking. I'm extremely impressed with this blog, it is very entertaining and could definitely keep me busy for hours. One of the questions asked in the blog assignment was asking to look into if the blog actually does anything (ie. effect peoples knowledge, values, ideas).. I think the point behind this blog is for basic entertainment and to be exposed to new things that one may be interested in but never thought to investigate (for me meaning looking into videos about BMX freestyle). Thanks for the blog suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first thing I noticed about this blog is that it addresses very "trendy" and "hip" topics in a eye-catching manner. I saw topics such as fashion, kids, and music which initially made me think that this was a blog designed for kids, but then tabs such as architecture, homes, and travel which then led me to believe that this blog is addressed to all ages and interests. I'm looking at the posts above me and see a reoccurring descriptive word, "trendy and cool". These words usually are used when describing a younger audience, but I see topics that are definitely discussed by adults. So is there a specific audience for this website or blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog has a very dark appearance coupled with bright pictures of art and artistic buildings. The dark background is probably there to showcase the pictures. I presume the blog is targeted at the young artistic crowd. The comments on this blog are casually written and tend to be fairly short. They remind me of text messages in some regards. A sign that this blog is in fact attracting their targeted audience. This blog seems to focus on little known artists rather than big name artists. These little known artists are often grateful to the blog for drawing attention to their work as noted by the comments they leave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first impression of the blog was that it gives off a futuristic vibe in the home page's color scheme and its simplistic yet modern approach. As I started looking through the photos and reading the captions I was upset that some of the photos don't have captions and most of the ones that do are very short. I almost want to google more about some of the images just to learn a little more background. I think its also very interesting how there isn't a comment section for bloggers to post their own opinions on the different subjects and images. At first I found this a little annoying because I wanted to see what people had to say about some of the different images in the architecture and art sections; however, the more I browsed through the website I found that I came to enjoy peacefully viewing the images and simply reading the description of the "cool" subject being displayed and deciding for myself how I felt about each image rather than being bombared by other peoples take on the image. Overall, this is a really unique and interesting blog. I feel not "cool" looking through it though, mainly because all the material and computer generated media is so surreal compared to my style and surroundings which lack the creativity I have seen displayed on this site!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa! My first impression just from scrolling down and looking at the artwork and architecture was very enlightening. The overall color scheme of not only the website/captions/titles is very futuristic but the art and designs of the individual posts are very progressive and are geared towards an audience more advanced in their knowledge and appreciation of the style of art being displayed. I find this blog unique in that it is not trying to cater to a large general public, but more so geared towards people already interested in the science of unusual but advanced architecture. Right from the start, the dark background really makes the bright colors within each blog post entry 'pop' off the screen and dazzle the viewer and certainly gets the attention on the work itself, rather than the place/setting/enviroment. I believe this blog is very effective in getting people who are not usually all that interested in art or architecute (myself included) to appreciate how the medium is progressing and take a glimpse into what may be standard within the next decade. Kind of like looking into what the social norms of interiour/exterior decorating may look like and most likely, will look like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. As we talked about in the class, this is a cool website :)

    It's interesting, that although this is a cool site enough that made want to comment on some articles, there is nowhere that I can leave a comment on each article.
    If I was the blogger, I'd think that I want to see what people think about it, but on this website, you can't comment on each. Instead, what you can do if you think the article is "cool" is clicking on links that say "facebook" or "twitter" or other SSN sites, and share what you think there. It's intriguing, because being shared on these SSN sites actually expands who can see the article to more people than readers of the blog. Maybe this is a strategic way of the blogger to expand the audiences by letting the readers 'spread the word' of the blog easily online.
    Any who, this is a cool website, and the name of the site suggests :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog is so captivating. The bright colors make it pop and the futuristic design makes way for people who are interested in usually cookie-cutter topics to explore those same topics in different ways. I looked through "Fuck Yeah MensWear" and "rockouture" and was instantly interested. The styles are so different, one a poem type blog with referenced pictures, and the other more explanatory of designers on the rise. The fact that these 2 very different blogs can coexist within one genre and especially one site gives this blog great potential.
    I thought the heading "roaming the USA and the Globe, so you're in the know" was relevant, it implies that everyone wants to be in the "know", as in we all want to be up-to-date. This blog provides the chance to stay up to date, while giving a million different avenues on what you choose to stay up-to-date with.

    Great choice, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is evident from a first glance, that this blog relies heavily on emotion stimulating visuals (not necessarily one of hate or anger, but more of intrigue and amazement). Its simplistic, yet artful layout adds to its mesmerizing effect. As you delve into the pictures, your eyes constantly wander for more. The blending of the pictures and the text is in essence fresh and "cool".I especially like that on the homepage, all ranges of "coolness" are placed together, and then if you look at the top left corner, there is a section breakdown (categorization), offering an added degree of ease when navigating, what seems like a monstrous site.The single color black background also helps to accentuate the images, added that there seems to be no advertisement links. NSFW.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This blog is obviously very flashy and pleasing to the average web user's eye. It is very easy to become interested to what this site has to offer within just the first few seconds of viewing it. At first glance, the bog covers a large variety of topics. However, when under closer scrutiny, it is clear that this blog has its focus on some areas more than others. For instance, I was rather disappointed in the lack of articles in the gadget section. Posts were few and far between and usually had to do with common run of the mill electronic devices known to any random person pulled off the street. It was definitely not worried about those of us who have a hobby researching the more complicated and technical aspects of the electronic industry. However, when viewing blogs on exotic locales or the latest fashion, the blog truly shines in its hi-res images and detailed descriptions of whatever topic the blog is representing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well this blog definitely lives up to its name lol. This blog catches your attention immediately and keeps it by providing you with pictures of things that are out of the ordinary. There are a lot of pictures of interesting restaurants and houses that one wouldn't see normally. Most of the pictures on this blog are of innovative things. The black background invites the pictures to pop off the page and allow the viewer to see them while they're as vivid as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definetly an ultra-modern site featuring ultra-modern ideas. I was drawn in from the start clicking away at things that looked interesting, and then I realized I was only looking at the ads, and hadn't even gotten to the actual blog. Can't say I've ever done that before. It definetly draws the viewer in with its vivd images. I would say I have some interest about the subject, but once I got on there, I couldn't stop looking at what all it had to offer.

    I also did notice looking through that there was no place for comments, and then as I was reading through these commments, I see you all noticed the same thing. I found this particularly strange, becuase the editor of this site seems to write things as if he's talking to an audience, thanking the site, and its popularity for boosting him to a whole new level of business-but there really is no audience to be found on the site...interesting

    cool blog guys.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Jeff's perspective on the editor's writing style.
    He has the job of describing it all to himself since I can't find where to comment on individual posts as you do in other blogs. Regardless of his intentions, this method prevents spam and gives him the spotlight while we 'ooh' and 'aah' at the posts. At times, he speaks to viewers in singular second person (Vacation spots YOU would love) and in a very advertising/promoting like manner. This method maybe related to the reputation of of this site.
    Instead of a comment section, on each post he has links that guide the viewer directly to the original source's website. This increases traffic to sometimes small indie art sites who respond gratefully since sooo many people worldwide visit this blog.
    From its looks to how it functions, this blog is unique from others, and like how others have commented, it doesn't quite feel like one. Instead I feel like it is evolving via popularity the editor did not anticipate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like everyone else on this blog, i do like it. It has many streamlined, twists, turns, and sleek design incorporated within it. One might suggest that this is a blog for the younger society as it is eye catching for new technology. It was also interesting to see how all the different styles and designs somewhat bring a sense of old looks to new looks. The 50's and 60's diner like looks can be compared to the bar page. The car page has many cars with old 50 style bodies but with a 2010 twist to them. This might be suggesting "out with the old in with newish-old." Perhaps society has fallen back in time to bring the "happiness" back. What I mean by this, is in the early 50's era directly after the war, the economy was in much better shape, people were into the new films, music, and technology.... Just like this page for the 21st century. Could this blog be suggesting that because our economy today is in such a bad recession, that when it is over, this is what we can look forward too? Or is it just simply that it is a coincidence that the 50's style is coming back in the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also find this blog very intriguing. The colors and style used for the title gives a very 'cool' first impression of the blog. While the title might catch one's eye with the colorful design, the blog in general appears to have the ability to keep people busy for hours. The blog is very organized and clear on what they have to offer to the readers. The travel section is on section that might influence people to travel. Looking at the pictures and reading the captions has the capability to influence someone to continue to search for a new and interesting place to travel. Not only does the blog have different subcategories to look through, but the pictures on the main page are intriguing as well. When looking at the page as a whole, my eye is brought immediately to the pictures, and I am willing to continue to search and read the blog. Over all I feel as though this blog is centered to the people interested in the popular trends and it has a clear way of organizing and expressing it's ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The blog has a really clear and simple structure. Everything are illustrated so clearly that you can simply look at these images and don't need any more words. A picture is better than a thouand words

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like this blog very much even after the English class. Thank you very much for your posting.

    ReplyDelete