Class blog for English 110.01

Class blog for English 110.01

Monday, October 25, 2010

Nah'mean

This week's blog for dissection will be Nahright> http://nahright.com/news/

In it's simplest form, this blog relates to the hip hop, with stories pertaining to current artists, as well as those on the rise. Visitors to the site can easy stream embedded music videos, and view commentary from the blog writers. Additionally, blog entries can give updates on new albums released, new song that have been leaked online, news about upcoming releases, news on photo shoots and articles on artists. For those looking to learn more beyond the content at Nah Right, the site also features links to several blogs with related material to read more.

Now, what do you find most appealing/intriguing/repulsive/effective about this blog? Does it serve its purpose? Is it simplistic enough? Is the information credible? Would you make recurring trips to this site if hip hop was of interest to you?

Comment, Comment, Comment!
Group #3.

18 comments:

  1. This blog is effective at providing relevant articles relating to its main focus on hip-hop. Personally, I don't know a lot about hip-hop or rap or the difference between the two. As a result, when I was looking through the different articles it seemed like a lot of them weren't very informative but instead required an already established knowledge of the hip-hop industry. This is definitely a modernized blog site and this can be seen in the various slang used throughout the comment sections and even in the titles of the articles themselves. While viewing one article, MTV's 2010 Hottest MCs List, I found it interesting that almost every post was disagreeing with the article. A lot of the bloggers seemed to reject the mainstream opinion on the best MCs even though the MCs listed are those who acheived the highest volume of sales for their albums. What else should define whether or not an artist is a "hot" MC? I didn't see any comments that really answered why those on the list weren't top ten potential. Overall, this is an interesting blog with a pretty simplistic layout that provides some up to date information for those interested in hip-hop. It seems credible but even then a lot of the information that circulates about artists in the music industry can be debatable unless coming directly from the artists themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is easy to use and is fairly uncluttered with a typical layout. It has the site content in the middle of the page with advertisements on the boarders. The content is readily accessible with embedded videos on the page itself. This makes the blog easy to use in that visitors do not have to go hunting for music videos which are probably the main reason for visits to the site. It is interesting that there is not a single person on the main page who is not African-American. This blog is probably targeted to a largely African-American audience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see that Sarah and hankins.116 surfed the blog and enjoyed the aesthetics and material. Sarah, u make a very valid point about what makes a "hot MC" but do u think that it might have something to do with one's public image or acceptance? Hankins.116, you mentioned that this blog is probably targeted to the African American community; do you think the material and the "rap stereotype" discourages other people of different races to contribute to the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find this blog very entertaining. For some reason I was surprised when reading the overview of what this blog was, I was not expecting there to be extremely organized music blogs. Looking back I now find that I bit ridiculous. This blog definitely has focused readers, as Sarah was saying it appears that some basic background knowledge is helpful in order to fully navigate and take advantage of all the information in this blog. There do not seem to be an overwhelming amount of advertisements which also makes it easier to focus on the information within the blog itself. However I was a little confused on the common Star War's theme shown down the side and at the very top of the blog. I generally wouldn't combine Star War's and rap music in the same category and that caught me off guard. Does anybody have suggestions on why the video game/star wars theme seemed to be connected to this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say i definitely agree with Jordan on the simple and organized layout of the blog. The past blogs that we have seen were cluttered with advertisements and seemed as though there were far too many things to focus on. I also am on the same plane with Sarah that one would need knowledge to fully understand what was going on in the blogs. I am not informed at all with the hip-hop/rap culture, thus i found it difficult to fully understand. I do want to go back to how the blog is very simple, maybe too simple. It is interesting to think this blog is mostly aimed for the young, and probably computer savvy people, yet it has a simplistic feel to it. After viewing the blogs i found the language to be very unintelligent and perhaps just plain rude. I'm not fully convinced that this is a credible blog as there is no reason. People have opinions about the artist or whoever but they do not have reason to fully back up their opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was looking at the blog, and thought that the layout is organized so that the video or the picture stands out the most above anything. It feels like it's saying that the music, or the art is the most important above anything, and that it doesn't need an explanation of what it is in writing. Also, I was reading comments on one of the articles, and was a little baffled that I couldn't understand what they were talking about. The commentators use words that would be thought inappropriate in some other places, but it seems like they are accepted well enough here. The word choices that the readers use seem to reflect the audiences that this blog is aimed at, perhaps people who are looking to let out stress through using or listening to music that uses these languages

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprised someone put up a blog like this for this project. I regularly visit this site, though, so it's a pleasant surprise. This site serves its purpose well, which is to relay news about underground and mainstream artists and provide music from them as well. A similar site to this one is 2dopeboyz.com, which does the same thing as this site except nahright usually gets news faster. The authors of the blog update regularly, about 10-15 times a day, and they use a very informal language as to relate to their audience, which is mostly people under 25.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does the blog actually do anything? I have to say no. this is not neccesarily a blog that would draw in an audience not interested in the subject matter, and it doesn't contain much to want the reader to keep coming back to see more. While I'm sure that if I were interested in hip hop, I might come back to see what new is going on in the hip hop world, I, not being interested in hip hop, am not really wanting to watch these videos, or feel drawn in to come back.

    I do not think this blog does anything to change a persons knowledge, values, or ideas. I realize there is all kinds of information within this blog, and I'm sure I could learn something new, it's not the kind of something new that is going to change a persons mind entirely about the subject.

    I must also say that as a reader, initially coming to this blog, I do not neccesarily like this blog, mainly because it is made up of videos with little or no introduction. Being un-knowledgeable about the overall subject, unless I already know who or what the subject of each video is about, I'm not going to feel compelled to watch these videos.

    have a great weekend everybody, GO BUCKS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whether you like Hip Hop/rap music or not this blog is interesting in that it doesn't cater to people who may not be familiar with the featured artists or musicians. The idea of this website is to simply just present the videos and music and let that speak for itself without having to use persusion to convert more people to wanting to get on board with this genre of music. The news portions of nah'mean can be thought of as a more informative way of presenting itself to the individual browser, but by just posting the music and the artists in the simplest form is how it will come off as appealing to the individuals who are already familiar with this specific industry. As some fellow students mentioned earlier, this blog isn't cluttered with advertisement either so it can be a sign that it is a much more independently run website without a lot of corporate sponsorship. Also, what I find to be very refreshing in terms of the language used is that this website doesn't present a lot of opinions or judgements and once again, just puts the music out there for others to enjoy. It isn't trying to lecture me as a visitor of the site. THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  10. What I noticed first was the title, "Nah Right", which in slang terms, Nah means No or Understand? in the context of Nahh mean? By use of this title it is implied that the authors assume the audience is comfortable and accustomed to this type of language.
    The layout of this blog is simple, large titles and pictures make it easily accessible and allows the reader to gravitate towards what they find most compelling.
    I agree with Andrew in the sense that it allows you to make your own judgements because it is so straight forward and there are no judgements to draw from . This is a site that people who are interested in hip-hop and rap would gravitate towards but it also seems to be more underrated because many of these artists written about are not found on mainstream radio.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blog is clearly laid out and is easy to understand. I also agree with Andrew and Jana that it is so straight forward that one can make his or her own opinion on the website. Also, the blog is simple to read, due to the simplicity of the layout. The point the bloggers are trying to get across is the main item someone sees on the blog. It is not overflowed with advertisements to distract someone from the main point.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also love how the blog is laid out. It is simple to understand so first time users don't feel uncomfortable viewing it. I think the side bar is really helpful, and the contact bar is pretty cool as well. It makes the blog seem more interactive and official. The background is a little boring, and for a music/hip hop site it could definitely use something a little trendier. I think if more videos were incorporated instead of "plug in downloads" it would make the site easier to use. I like how this blog pertains specifically to hip hop because if it were just about music overall, it would get lost in the web pretty easily.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I commented to a post on the blog that happened a fewer hours earlier today. I'm not sure how the readers might respond I would guess that they'd ignore the comment unless there is a continuous checking of the post. However the argument was in regards to the best fat rappers, and how a reader had neglected to included Goat. The support of the argument from there dissipated into derogative and inappropriate language and from there the conversation moved to football (?). I recommended that the two reader's focus on the topic originally posted and remain civilized.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My opinion on this blog is based more on its structure and maintenance than the content due to the fact that I have little interest in the content of any posts on this blog. Don't get me wrong, the writing and presentation of the site is excellent, I'm just obviously not this blog's targeted demographic. Above all else, it is well structured, easy to navigate, and it feels as if the contributors to the site take a good amount of time to research the specific topics, organize their thoughts, and do their best to present each article in a thoughtful manner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This blog is awesome! Its very simple, but is allows people to listen to real hip-hop, as opposed to the garbage on the radio (much judgment). I listened to a bunch of the songs on this blog, and they're all really good. This blog is similar to goodmusicallday.com, which is another blog that posts songs. GoodMusicAllDay posts a lot of underground music by artists that are barely known. This is a great way to share music. In the old days, artists had to make mixtapes and sell them on the corner out of their cars, but with the internet, you can have literally a million people listening to your songs within hours of posting it on youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This blog is so easy to read, the background is simple and cool. I feel relaxed when entering this blog. The most appealing part of this blog is the logos and the side bar. The logo says “master of the mix”, it has two wings and few audios that make me feel like this blog is all about a music dream. The side bar is also appealing; people can create their own playlists as the background music. There also have very clear categories that visitors can found information they want easily.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with Jana's point about the title. This title is relevant because it is pop culture lingo and the blog is about hip hop. I'd like to add that perhaps the blog uses this title because audiences who know what it stands for fit the demographic. However the title doesn't specifically reflect hip hop, in fact, being pop-culturally relevant alone would cover too broad spectrum of topic material. The simplicity of this site could somehow be related. Miranda you mention how you'd prefer a "little trendier" layout. Perhaps the blog purposely has a plain, undefined background. Functionally, it makes navigation easier. Easy navigation gives the viewer more freedom to spot things he is interested it he might not otherwise find in a cluttered layout. Both an undefined background and undefined title gives the impression that viewers are free to judge and perceive whats on the blog as they like it; the site isn't imposing any sort of opinion.
    ..or maybe they're just lazy; an impression i got when I saw the big empty white frame above the title of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this blog have a wonderful layout. I like these videos most. They vividly show how these works are. And the short but clear intros under the videos doing a great job. decent information, not too much to prevent you from watching and still give you enough intro information.
    If the videos could be exaggrated by kicking in that would be better, I really prefer the HD videos.

    ReplyDelete